The Desire Map for Business
Desire Mapping is about getting clear on how you want to feel in everything in your life and then setting your goals or intentions to match those feelings.
How you want to feel is described as your Core Desired Feelings (CDFs). These CDFs can then help you to determine your goals and intentions and by extension, shape your life.
Desire Mapping can be used to:
- Define the direction that is right for you in your business.
- Make the business individual to you so that you stand out from the crowd.
- Ensure that you are using your unique talents and abilities in your business so that are shining through and that work becomes a natural, enjoyable and fulfilling extension to your life.
- Make your business a truly authentic extension of yourself so you feel creative and in flow when you are working.
The happier and more in sync with your business you are, the more impact you will make and the more income you will earn.
Step 1: Your business – How do you feel about it now?
Are you running your business based on expectation? Are these your expectations or society’s expectations?
Are you doing things because that is just the way things are done, regardless of the fact that ioing things that way is proving to be a complete grind for you? Are there certain aspects of your working life that are crying out for you to think outside the box, do things a little differently, break away from the norm because what is right for the norm is not right for you? Are you just going through the motions in relation to aspects of your work – productive however your work has no soul? Or are you too tired and exhausted to even be productive at this stage?
To help you start to figure it out, answer these questions:
- Why do you work for yourself – or why do you want work for yourself?
- Is it the flexibility around time, place of work, type of work? What would your dream work scenario be? What changes would need to be made to bring about that scenario?
- What are you doing in your business that makes you feel amazing and on-purpose?
- Which of your products and/or services brings you the most satisfaction and joy?
- What are you doing in your business that makes you feel miserable or that you resent?
Step 2: Your business – How do you want to feel about it?
- Write down as many words as you that express how you want to feel in your business.
- Once you’ve written as many words as you can, see if they fit into groups of similar feelings and move them around.
- Have you got down to the real feeling? For example if success was one of your words – what does that actually mean to you? Your idea of success could be very different to someone else’s idea of stress. Theirs could be the biggest corner office and smart title, yours could be freedom and travel. Are your ideas of success your own or societies? Are they outdated ideas of success – your view of success now could be completely different to what It was when you were younger. Perhaps the idea of the traditional career ladder is no longer looking as appealing as it once did.
- Do the words really represent your true Core Desire Feelings or are they based around a need for external validation?
- Try to narrow your words down to a maximum of 4 – these become your CDFs for your business.
Step 3: Making Space and Setting Boundaries
You’ve discovered how you want to feel in business, however when you return to your day to day activities you are quickly sucked back into old routines and other people’s views and opinions on how things should be done.
- Learn to say no – if you are not feeling it, don’t do it
- Learn to take time to mull things over – how does the thing you have been asked to do / are thinking of doing / are about to do actually make you feel?
- Make time to meditate – this is the only way to stop yourself from contracting the busyness virus, or cure yourself of it – the busyness virus is where you are so, so busy and are determinedly checking off all the things on your check list, yet you still feel discontented on some level, like something is wrong or lacking but you don’t know what it is.
- Learn to protect your energy – avoidance, boundaries, learning to say no, sleep, good diet, exercise, time off, mantras, kriyas, meditation, massage, cleansing your space, essential oils, energy work – do whatever you need to do to stay emotionally strong and protect your energy from those who deplete it.
Answer these questions:
- What do I say yes to, even though I know I don’t want to do in my business?
- Who is controlling or overbearing or passive aggressive or difficult in my life?
- Who or what depletes me, exhausts me?
- What changes do I need to make in relation to what I am doing, the people in my life, the places where I am spending my time to
- What can I do to improve my energy and focus when times are tough?
- Who can I turn to for guidance, mentoring or inspiration when things are getting tough?
Step 5: Setting goals with soul
Now you know how you want to feel in your business, you can look at setting 3-4 soul based goals that will help you feel that way in your day to day life and to make those feelings the core resonance of your relationship with your business so it becomes an individual and truly authentic extension of who you are.
Consider these questions:
- What do I need to do to feel the way I want to feel in my business?
- Example – Creating a perfect essential oil blend for a client (Sensual) because it makes me feel in flow and connected (Spiritual) and because I love how the blend makes my client feel (Pleasure).
- What do I need to do to address the problems and situations I noted in step 4?
- What do I need to do to feel these Core Desired Feelings in my business over the coming months?
- What 3-4 goals or intentions can I work towards that would include these feelings in my business?
Step 6: Get Organised
Get the FREE Desire Map Printable Diary & Planner to plan your goals and day:
And if you enjoyed this article – why not try the Desire Mapping Online Course? Plan you goals and next project now: