How do you know if you need some support in your detoxification system?
- Do you have regular headaches?
- Do you have allergies or regular food sensitivities?
- Do you get fatigued for no good reason?
- Do you have trouble with memory or focus?
- Are you having a bowel movement at least every other day or every day or are you having trouble with regular elimination?
- Are you bothered by perfumes, strong scents or chemical odors?
- Are you sensitive to household cleaning products?
- Is your skin sensitive to perfumes, scents or detergents?
- When you drink coffee or have caffeine does your heart race or do you feel anxious?
- Do you have an inability to drink even a small amount of alcohol without feeling the effects strongly?
- Are you someone who you would describe as hypersensitive to medication where you do not tolerate most or can only tolerate the smallest doses?
- Do you have more than two mercury fillings
- Do you drink water containing flouride every day or use flouride containing toothpaste?
- When you went through puberty did you start your period before age 10?
- Do you usually have PMS, heavy painful or irregular periods?
- Do you usually get breast tenderness or cyclic breast lumps with your cycle?
- Do you regularly drink from plastic water bottles or heat your food up in plastic containers?
- Do you have chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia?
- Do you not sweat easily or have to work really hard to break a sweat?
- Do you take Tylenol or other forms of pain medication regularly?
- Do you wear make up every day and if so, is your make up organic or green or not?
- Do you use perfumes or products with synthetic perfumes in them like shampoo, soap or hairspray?
- Do you use conventional or scented house cleaning products?
- Do you live in a newly built house that is very airtight?
- Do you eat inorganic meat or dairy more than once per week?
- Do you eat inorganic produce like fruits and vegetables most of the time?
- Do you eat fish without making sure that they come from low mercury sources?
(Adapted from the excellent book Aviva Romm – Adrenal Thyroid Solution)
Answering yes to any of these questions could mean that you have an increased exposure to heavy metals, scents and perfumes which have Phthalates in them. Answering yes to questions like do you have a high sensitivity to alcohol or caffeine suggests that you might have slow detoxification processes. Equally if you answered yes to the hormone related question this suggests that you might not be processing or eliminating your estrogen efficiently or that you might have a higher exposure to estrogen than might be optimal.
If you scored 0-3 points, it looks like your detoxification systems are in order which is great so for you doing the regular things that support your detoxification, like getting good sleep, making sure you are eliminating daily, getting fermented vegetables in your diet such as sauerkraut and kimchi and making sure you are getting 6-8 servings at least of fruits and vegetables a day is probably enough to keep you detoxification system supported.
If 4-10 score was your score you are dealing with a fair amount of overload in your detoxification system and getting some extra detoxification support would be great.
If you have a higher score, you need to seriously consider detoxification. One of the ways you can start is by reducing your toxin exposure. Take one day and go through your kitchen – do you have processed foods in your kitchen, lots of additives, preservatives, artificial flavorings and MSG? If so you want to replace them with real healthy whole foods.
The next day go through your household cleaners, laundry cleaners and switch over to non-scented healthier companies like Seventh Generation and The Laundress. Get scents and solvents and toxic chemicals out of your house so they are not affecting you.
The next day go through cosmetics and body products. Are you putting products heavily laden with toxins on your skin? Consider switching to green companies like Beauty Counter that make green/organic body / make up products. Also Juice Beauty (GOOP uses Juice to make their products so you are getting their range at a fraction of the price), Ecco Verde and Sundays nail polish – all companies that make toxin free products.
At present in the US indoor pollution is higher than outdoor pollution so take your shoes off when you come into house. Have a foyer closet and mop your floor especially where you come in with your shoes. BPA and Phthalates can be air borne so the less you can track in to your home the better.
New homes are more airtight than older homes so if you have a new home make sure you have good ventilation and open windows regularly for air circulation. Buy home furnishings that are as natural and toxin free as possible. When you buy a sofa try to get one that is not flame retardant and not coated in scotchgard.
The next issue is optimizing dietary support. You know you need this in particular if you are:
- Feeling gassy, bloated, uncomfortable or heavy after meals
- Suffering from food intolerances
- Suffering from headaches
- Feeling exhausted and irritable
- Looking and feeling depleted
- An easy 4 step plan to alleviate stomach discomfort, gas and bloating forever
- Herb and supplement lists for each step
- A Food Journal
- Symptom Trackers
- Shopping and resource lists
The program is normally $99 but for members of our community for a limited time it is only $29!
And as always feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions.
Have a lovely day,